Monday, January 21, 2008

Let's Face it: Cruise Life is Busy

You thought I stayed in Sydney, didn't you!?! Well, I didn't...would have liked to, but we've got more fun ahead.

After a long line checking in for the ship, we made our way to our cabin...down a really long, narrow hallway. We're close to the back of the ship, which is good (you don't feel the waves quite as much as you do in the front), and bad (because it's such a long ass way to the front and all the activities!). The cabin is nice, functional and efficient. We have window, so no sensory deprivation issues like in Jon's last post.

First thing on the agenda after unpacking? Who can guess? Anyone? That's right, Cindy, we found a bar; A+ for you. It's the Explorer Bar, right next to the Internet cafe. Joe and I are so spoiled. I know you know that, but here's a whole new reason: we're not used to paying for our drinks on a cruise! They're a little spendy, here, and HAL (Holland America Lines) pushes a discount drink card for every kind of drink, except beer. Oh, and well drinks. Brett was confused as to why a Crown and coke didn't qualify as a signature drink when the poolside delight, "Suncicle," did. I, of course, explained that a Suncicle, by the very mention of its name made you snicker a little, and asking for a Crown and coke simply made you grin at your own evil-ness.

And let's talk for a moment about evil-ness...I mean, specifically, the combo that plays during happy hour in this bar. Fritzie, who sounds as if he's French/German/Asian, has got to be the cheesiest thing on the boat...and there's a lot of cheese on this boat. He's more like the Cheese Whiz on the boat. The combo is actually decent, until Fritzie chimes in. It's like Ishtar meets American Idol rehearsals. I'm serious. In fact, I just threw up a little in my mouth thinking about his rendition of "Ze Sunnieee Si ofda Sstreel" (That's the Sunny Side of the Street). He's awful!

Moving on. The second most awful thing on the ship is that the laundry rooms have been packed since we got here. Joe and I haven't seen the couch in our room yet due to the mounds of sorted laundry we haven't been able to do. Maybe we'll get it done over the next couple of days at sea. I hope so, I'm starting to run out of clothes!

Yesterday (our Monday) was a great day! We sailed into Melbourne with nothing on our agenda and ended up having a splendid time. We took a tram into the city center and started walking toward the shopping area. We did a little souvenir shopping, then Elizabeth and Charles took off for the Jail Museum (a pretty good tour, they said). The rest of us ducked into a pub...imagine that! But this was no ordinary pub. On the big screen was the NFC Championship game...live! Bonus! And, except for the f*&$#ing Giants winning (I so wanted to avenge my Cowboys, but sadly it was not to be), it was a good game. There were a couple of other Americans in the bar who were living in Melbourne, so we made friends with them. I made friends with the bartender.

I asked him for a taste of a draught called James Squire Amber Ale. Very good! It tasted a lot like Shiner's 98...but even a little smoother. That called for a pint! Or three! The next thing we knew, Mal, the bartender, was putting together a map of places we should visit while in downtown, including the brewing company that made the very beer we were enjoying. He gave us a few other tips and then gifted us with ballcaps and cozies bearing the name of the bar: The Oxford Scholar. I know, ironic, isn't it ;-)

Before we knew it, the Giants had won and it was time for us to head back to the ship and the Explorer Bar. Fritzie was waiting for us.

Later last night, I guess to shake off his "Eeet Hah tu vee Yooooo" (It Had to be You), I picked off contestants, one by one, in a round of Karaoke. I felt much better.

Today we're in Burnie, Tasmania. I fully expect to pet a kangaroo today. I'll let you know how that goes for me!

cheers!

3 comments:

Cindy said...

They should put the laudromat next to the bar. Then you'd have something productive to do while you wait, and if you couldn't get a machine, well . . . who cares?

Tracy Everett Sumner said...

You couldn't have had a better idea if you'd tried. Of course, by the time your laundry was done, you might not even care anymore!

Tracy Everett Sumner said...

You couldn't have had a better idea if you'd tried. Of course, by the time your laundry was done, you might not even care anymore!