Wednesday, January 30, 2008

Which Title?

I could have titled this post either: 1) Meanest Bastard On The Boat or 2) Have You Made Your Wine Steward Cry Today?

The other night, Joe brought a bottle of wine to the table at dinner. The ship charges an uncorking fee when you bring your own bottle. They are proud of this service as they charge $15 to uncork your bottle for you. Another important piece of information is that the bottle of wine Joe brought to the table had a screw top and not a cork. So, when the steward came to the table and reminded us about the uncorking fee. I told him he shouldn't charge us for an uncorking fee as the bottle had no cork. I then asked if they perhaps have an un-screwing fee instead. He seemed flustered and said he would have to ask his supervisor and just disappeared. A while later, the dining room manager came by and let us know that I had made his steward cry. He told us that Michael was one of his very best stewards and just to be nice to him. Eventually, Michael came back to the table to finish pouring the one bottle of wine and then disappeared for the rest of the night. I felt a little bad that I made him cry, but honestly, if just a simple joke can bring that boy to tears, then he had better get another job. Seriously, I was never mean, I just asked questions in my sarcastic way. Luckily, they really do have a GREAT wine steward named Enricho. He is always smiling and is always very helpful. So, have you made your wine steward cry today???

No comments: