Tuesday, January 15, 2008

If it's Tuesday, this must be Moorea

At least for part of the day. Today will be a strange, long day, but I'll get to that in a minute.

Yesterday was a lot of fun. While I was posting, a rain shower moved through. Very tropical, warm rain that lasted about five minutes. Throughout the day, we had about three more...very relaxing, and the breeze they brought with them was wonderful!

Instead of just laying around on the beach like a bunch of slugs, we called our island friend, Ron Hall, and one of his minions (a very pretty girl) came around to pick us up and take us to his wonderful pearl shop. Elizabeth bought earrings. Jon bought a small stud, and I bought earrings, too. Ron must love us. Those of you reading will just have to wait and see if I bought you anything.

From Ron's store, our pretty minion drove us to another little shopping area where we found a place for lunch and did a little souvenir shopping. We walked the short distance back to the hotel and then we lounged by the pool for happy hour. We're mighty happy people.

At 7pm, our ride for dinner came. Moorea doesn't really have taxis, well, it does, but they're pricey. Most big shops or restaurants have free service for pick up and delivery. You just have to call them and reserve your space. They're not on a time table, either...you can stay at the restaurant for as long as you like. So we did! We had a fabulous Italian/Polynesian dinner with a delicious Chianti, topped off with a Tahitian vanilla creme brulee...oh my! (Tahiti's main export is vanilla and they really know how to make a creme brulee!)

Back at the hotel it's time to think about leaving. Already?!? Oh yeah, we have a whole other part of the trip to get to!

Tuesday: we'll relax this morning, before a noon checkout. Our transfer back to the ferry that takes us back to Papeete is at 3:30, so we'll hang around the beach here, then utilize the hotel's changing rooms. Once back at Papeete, we'll check back into the Sofitel for the day. A nap is definitely on the agenda there, because at about 11pm, we head for the airport, hook up with Brett (finally) and fly for Sydney at 2:10 am Wednesday morning. Shortly after take off we'll cross the International Date Line and lose the rest of Wednesday...it will be Thursday by the time we reach Sydney. I hate it when they mess with the time space continuum.

I promise I'll figure out the camera...maybe on Wednesday!

5 comments:

Linda said...

It seems like you just got there are you are ready to leave. Dont you feel like you could spend a week lying on the beach in Tahiti?

Anonymous said...

And now, off on our continuing journey to some of the world's coldest places. Today's stop: Oymyakon, (Siberia), Russia, which has the distinction of being the coldest permanently inhabited locale on good ol' planet Earth. (Fascinating, is it not?)

The English translation for Oymyakon is: OY! My achin' bones! How come I'm not in Moorea?

Current temp is -56 degrees F, but, with the wind chill and blowing snow, it feels more like -74. Splitting hairs, if you ask me.

I'm guessing this is where Colonel Klink kept threatening to send Sgt. Schultz.

May the weather gods bear you gently on warm tropical breezes and deposit you lightly upon the land down under.

Tracy Everett Sumner said...

Cindy -- you're cracking me up! You should be a stand up comic.

I'm sending warm thoughts your way. Can you feel them? Okay, how 'bout now? No? That's odd, I'm feeling warm and comfortable sitting here in this open air bar watching a nice woman pour me a beer. I'll try again later. ;-)
t

Anonymous said...

Sounds like fun, but it would be hard to beat lying in a dentist's chair for 2 hours having a root canal and watching the wind try to blow Canyon away. Yes, a lovely way to spend a Tuesday morning. Oh, and in reference to an earlier comment, most ducks are three-toed, but I digress. Keep the blogs coming. Mark

Tracy Everett Sumner said...

smartass.